Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 5, 2010

Extracting 118 Horses....


POWER!!
Something that car/speed-freaks like me crave for. Time is yet to come when we Indians start seeing supercars with massive V10 or V12 engines on our roads. But right now for us, anything over 100BHP is 'awesome'.
A decent 118BHP at 6600revs for disposal at the right foot is exactly what our New Honda City offers. Any power enthusiast would floor the throttle at every chance he gets to feel that rush of adrenaline through his body.
One fine afternoon, a Honda City is cruising at 120kmph in 5th gear on the Mysore-Bangalore highway. It is barely 3 months old and the engine is still running in. It has not been revved much before and to sum up all the treatment that it had gotten until then, there is only one word – SMOOTH.
Suddenly, the driver hears a honk behind. He glances at his rear-view mirror and sees a car asking for room. He makes way thinking, "Who the hell wants to overtake a car at 120?", and gazes in admiration as a beauty overtakes him. It is a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 Kompressor.
"I want to keep up with the Merc", is the ONLY thing running in his mind right now. Everything else is a total blur. He downshifts by two and starts chasing the SLK but is only losing ground. Fortunately, after a few hundred meters, the Merc gets stuck behind an 800 and the City makes its way nearer to the supercharged wonder.
The road clears up now and the Kompressor starts to unleash its 165BHP on the flat tarmac again.
"Now is the time", he thinks. “I will touch the RED LINE for the first time!”.
In second gear now, tacho is reading 2100 and speedo 20. He thumps the pedal to metal with full force and the City springs into life. He glances at the speedo and the needle is rocketing up like there is no tomorrow. He is pushed back in his seat, the car roaring with increase in revs and his Dad and Mom astonished by the sudden surge. The car is flooded with 118 horses of incredible power at 6600revs later reaching 100 in 2nd at 7000revs. He clicks the right paddle to upshift and continues further to touch 130 in 3rd.
Back on the road, the Merc has not raced away. A Honda was able to compete with a Merc and it did better than expected. The City is now powering its way on the road chasing the Kompressor, doing nearly 150. Suddenly, he is shot back to senses saying, “Oh God! This is crazy!, and the City then slows down.
He now looks at the odo and it is reading 1472. He thinks, 1028 until I do it again!!. :)

12 comments:

  1. :) You have explained it exquisitely. Even though I lacked to understand few technical terms, your language speaks it all.

    And the best part was your last thinking ;) :P

    Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many thanks. :)

    It was my first shot at something like this. Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha.Reading this article,I remember the day when i was in Ford Ikon chasing Audi A6 at a speed of 178KMph at NICE road, awesome experience, paapa ninjothe bandavrge edhe daga daga anthitheno.Anyways break your own record with high safety measures maga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL :) I will one day, for sure! :)

    Yeah I remember the story. You had told me once.

    When I do break my record, I will post the experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo oh!!!! .. hey an different article.. i really liked it... the line "Extracting 118 horses" hmm hmm that's creative and yup congrats 4 overtaking merc!! he he e...
    up shifting is cool,speed always drives Mind,
    Its nice to over take but U better don't Over Take it to your Mind!!
    :) Drizzle yourself with cool bits while driving..Always good ,before u gear it up!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks yaar.. :)
    I actually didn't overtake the Merc..I just got up to it and I slowed down.. :)
    Yup. Will stay cool.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wonders of Pistons are revealed here...great work keep it up....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks maga. :) I will remember that I put my first valid post on your birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maga, I just now got time to go through your blog and I got two things to say.. One, I am really unfortunate to have missed the real time excitement.. Two, trust me, superb maga.. Made me feel that it was almost concurrent and also took my imagination to its threshold as I was reading along.. Nice one..Will wait for lot more posts like this..

    Haffun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bro. :) Don't worry about missing it. The day is not far when you will be behind the wheel and do the same. :)

    Thanks a lot maga. Sure. Will give my best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. anna! loved the article...it was as good as watching the climax chase in a movie :) Liked the last part the best though.. hope that those 1028 kms come soon enough for the next adventure to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Lakshmi. :)

    Its reduced to 981 now.. :) Will post other adventures after 2500, say TOP SPEED [My Dad sure wouldn't allow me to do that ;) ] :)..

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete